Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Black Rice & Quinoa Salad with Sweet Potatoes

photos by scott haydon


 We just came back from spending the weekend near Mount Rainier National Park with a couple of good friends. Jacqui and I spent time scaling hillsides while the Scotts went fishing in Skate Creek. (I might be posting some trout recipes sometime this month.) The weather was beautiful and it was nice to let my body do some hard work. It feels great to fill your body with nutritious and delicious food. It also feels empowering to experience your body push through limits successfully. On our hike to the base of Eagle Peak we gained almost 3000 feet in 3 miles. It was HARD. And it reminded me that I need to always be looking for ways to be more active. I like to feel strong and capable. I also like to eat.

A couple of days before we left for Rainier, Scott and I ate this rice and quinoa salad. I'm in love with it. It was a super easy recipe and so tasty. I ate some for lunch at work the following day and even reheated it was delicious. I know that this dish will be a repeat in our house. I hope you enjoy it too.

This recipe was adapted from this really good recipe.


1 cup black rice
1 TBS olive oil
1/2 cup red & white quinoa
3 small sweet potatoes, cubed
1 shallot, diced
several green onions, chopped
salt&pepper

Heat oven to 425.

Place 1/2 TBS of olive oil and 1 cup black rice in a medium saucepan. Add 1 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Place a lid on the pot and allow to simmer for about 35 minutes.

Cube up several sweet potatoes and toss with the shallot and remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and stick in the oven until sweet potatoes soften and begin to crisp up on the edges, about 25 minutes.

Add a 1/2 cup of quinoa and 1 cup of water to a small saucepan. Bring to boil and then put a lid on it and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.

Combine rice, quinoa and sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add green onions and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment